Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Scouting Out my Topic...



Professor Goeller's feedback sparked some realizations for me, as well as inciting some new questions.  I was also reminded to not jump to my own conclusions too quickly, or allow my biases to sway my objective analysis as I do further research.

I have seen a lot of articles (not academic/scholarly - public, main stream) that suggest college students are becoming progressively more liberal.  One such article is this Washington Post article that I came across this week, by accident.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/liberal-but-not-tolerant-on-the-nations-college-campuses/2016/02/11/0f79e8e8-d101-11e5-88cd-753e80cd29ad_story.html?postshare=7561455294699228&tid=ss_fb  However, in light of Professor Goeller's insight, even so-called liberal students seem concerned primarily with issues that effect them directly, not necessarily issues that focus on civic responsibility for sectors of public life that don't benefit them, like social security.

However, other articles still insist college students are apathetic to politics.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/susan-moeller/study-college-students-sh_b_1777322.html

Over the course of the week I came across some instances of politics on campus that got me more excited about this topic.  Right here at Rutgers, a conservative group had a guest speaker, Milo Yiannopoulos which caused some tension with other, leftist groups on campus, such as BLM.  We even made national news:

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/02/13/i-brought-milo-yiannopoulos-to-rutgers-and-liberals-freaked-out/

No comments:

Post a Comment